|08 of 13. The Cape Meares Lighthouse is located on the tip of Cape Meares at about 200 feet above the ocean. Lighthouses on the Oregon Coast were a vital aid to navigation when their beams would meet and pass each other at sea..
Cape Meares is named after the English navigator John Meares, who mapped many points along this coast in a 1788 voyage.
The Cape Meares Lighthouse was commissioned by Congress in 1886 and allocated
$60,000 for construction. Construction began in 1889 and emitted the first light January 1, 1890. With the advent of the automated light, the Cape Meares Lighthouse was decommissioned and closed in 1963.